- This event has passed.
Heart Kyol Che 2018
January 2 @ 8:00 am - March 23 @ 1:00 pm
Kyol Che is a traditional Korean Zen retreat. The name means “tight dharma” or “coming together.” In Korea, it is the three-month winter and summer periods when monks and nuns do intensive sitting practice in the mountain temples. Providence Zen Center holds two Kyol Che retreats annually, with students sitting up to three months in the winter and four weeks in the summer.
The Heart Kyol Che is an opportunity for students who cannot sit the traditional Kyol Che, or who can sit only part of it, to participate by doing extra practice at home and practicing together with others as they are able. This will run concurrently with the traditional Kyol Che. By doing this Heart Kyol Che together, we will strengthen our own practices, and provide support to our fellow students who are able to sit the traditional Kyol Che. We in turn can draw inspiration and energy from their commitment.
If you would like to give support to the traditional Kyol Che retreatants and/or participate in the Heart Kyol Che, we encourage you to attend the Mid Kyol Che ceremonies on February 9. There will be chanting at 6:30 pm; and the ceremony at 7:00 pm. Active participants in the Heart Kyol Che are also invited to the circle talk and Kyol Che closing ceremony at 11 am on March 23.
If you are geographically distant, you can still participate in the Heart Kyol Che through your commitment to practice at home. Try to attend talks, sittings, and retreats at another center of the Kwan Um School of Zen near you.
Participation in the Heart Kyol Che can consist of any or all of the following:
- An effort to do daily practice (suggested minimum is recitation of the Four Great Vows; bowing; chanting of the Heart Sutra; and sitting fifteen minutes)
- Doing daily mantra practice (suggested minimum is one thousand Kwan Seum Bosals)
- A personal day of silence and mindfulness
- Long sittings (suggested minimum is one)
- Dharma talks (suggested minimum is one)
- Winter Kyol Che ceremonies at Providence
- Work practice at your Zen center
- Yong Maeng Jong Jins and one day retreats (suggested minimum is one day)
- One or more weeks of Winter Kyol Che at Providence Zen Center
To take part in the Heart Kyol Che, download and fill out the form below. Send it to your guiding teacher if you are not local, or ATTN: Zen Master Bon Haeng or Nancy Hedgpeth JDPSN at:
Providence Zen Center
99 Pound Road
Cumberland, RI 02864
You may also email the form to email@example.com